Tuesday, November 17, 2015

FOCUS

If you have any ambition in life your somewhat of a goal setter.  Whether or not we accomplish those goals can be another story, but no the less we all tend to look forward toward something.  I believe a great deal of success towards goals comes from keeping our eyes on the prize.  We cannot suffer from "Goal ADHD".  Distractions will derail you and kill all hopes of success and achievement.  I know that's bluntly stating the obvious, but the real trick is to stay focused and to identify the distractions.  Sometimes we don't always see them or know where they are coming from.  We can simply drift off course slightly and then be sucked into the weeds, or it can be an outside force that comes from another direction blindsiding us and changing the direction of our focus.

Time since "the chair"  has certainly come with it's ups and downs, it's time of hardship and times of achievement.  Throughout it all I have tried to maintain one thought....one focus.  God has a plan, and he will use it.  This was hugely reinvigorated when I recently caught the Rich Froning documentary on Itunes(I would highly recommend checking it out).  The main goal I have wanted through all of this(the accident) is for God to shine through in me.

Should be simple right?  Satan is no slacker.  He doesn't pull his punches and will take any opportunity to distract us.  Lately I have felt a bit frustrated, it has began with the changing of the weather and an old passion stirring in me.  This is the time of year to ride... cooler weather and precipitation lead to moisture in some of my favorite riding areas.  Oh the days I would head to Paradise with some of my close riding buddies(so properly named...).  It's left me a bit longing for the days, which in turn has stirred up some resentment for the chair.  This left me drifting off course a bit, and before long I was in the weeds.  My frustration carried and escalated into other areas involving the chair(which is pretty much everything).  I really began to be disheartened with activities I'm unable to do on my own.  How I would love to go to the gym and just do the same workout with everybody else.  Instead of feeling like a burden to the coaches with special requests and additional attention.  I really started to feel like my mission was unsuccessful, and my goal wasn't being met.  How could I stand for God when I commanded so much personal attention?  Why do I have to be such a pain to everybody, and why can't I do it all on my own?  I have felt discouraged and dismayed that God wasn't coming through my efforts, that I wasn't standing more on my own for him.

 Then it hit me(or God may have "slapped" me).  We have been studying Daniel in church and what an amazing pillar he was the way he allowed God to use him.  Pastor love recently did a message on Daniel and the lion's den(see Daniel 6 for more details).  I was brought back to focus.  I haven't looked to God enough for help.  The problem is I've made it about me and tried to do it on my own.  I was distracted focusing on MY efforts, MY perceptions, MY needs.  I need to focus on others efforts and the willingness of others to be there for me, and humble enough to let them graciously.  I need to personally pray more and allow God to keep me focused.

We recently did quite a few Hero WODs this past week with Veterans day.  The common theme during these workouts were to focus on not your own efforts or struggles, but to reflect on the struggles and efforts that those endure to serve and protect us.  It's a perspective changer.  In the same way I need to do this with all my workouts.  I want to do the same.  In the same way we started these Hero WODs with a moment of silence and reflection, I will now start my workouts with prayer.  I need to focus on God and the blessings he's given me, the strength, the drive, the spirit to push forward, and the support of those he has put around me.  As far as God shining through me.... he'll take care of the rest.  He will keep me focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment