Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Finish Strong

It's like that movie that you think has climaxed, and the antagonist is at the most difficult position and now they will work their way back to the top.  Suddenly there is a twist and a new challenge presents itself and pushes them even further down. 

That's kind of the way the end of this year has been for myself.  A whole new set of challenges has presented itself.  It seems my hips have decided to be difficult and present some complications.  My left hip that I dislocated and damaged the femoral head has been challenging due to the joint trying to become one solid bone from a large calcium deposit due to immobilization.  Something I have to continually stretch and range my legs to fight as a counteraction.  My right hip has collected fluid due to extreme arthritis(apparently I have been hard on my body is what they tell me).  It rolls like a skate board wheel with a flat spot and can lock up when that spot catches.

I constantly think back to the time I was in the hospital, I had this perception(or delusion, depends on how you look at it) that I would be down for a couple weeks and then promptly begin to return to normal.  Now at almost a year later I find myself frustrated and inpatient at times in my continued recovery process.  I have found that normal isn't as much of a set pattern in routine as much as being adaptable and receptive to what life throws my way. 

I take pride in knowing how far I've come through perseverance and pure stubborn relentlessness.  While I find some discouragement in knowing at only one year post accident my journey has just begun, I take solace in knowing I have been ahead of the curve in my recovery and regaining my strength.  My training habits of old are more important toady then they I have ever been.  I often compare physical difficulties to a 6-8 hour road trip in a car.  That feeling you have when you are finally able to step out of the vehicle and stretch, that stiffness you feel from the lack of mobilization and circulation is my daily struggle.  Its my daily workout that promotes my circulation and combats this challenge.

It shows me the importance in our daily habits and the discipline we build in our lives.  God has given us the ability to prepare ourselves for what ever may come our way in life.   The challenges and adversity we face can be minimized with inner built strength and preparation.  How we live our life reflects how high the mountains are we climb and how low the valleys are we recess in to.

There is a saying " The definition of luck is when opportunity meets preparation"  I have always lived life by this mantra and it finds me feeling very lucky despite what has happened.  2014  has found me very blessed with many victories.  I look forward to what 2015 will hold and hope the new year finds you with your daily walk and preparation to be "lucky" in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment