Sunday, January 25, 2015

Personal Connections

I grew up a Seahawks Fan living most of my life in the wet, dreary area of Battle Ground, Washington(not that for a long time I've really bragged about being a Hawk fan).  I can remember watching games with my uncles growing up, who were huge, die hard, Seattle fans.  I remember attending my first game in person, that allowed me to get to know my Aunt's new husband better.  We ventured to the Kingdom where we allowed to watch them play Joe Montana and the Kansas City Chiefs(Course the hawks lost 16-32).  I was able to get my first Hawks hat.

Last year my passion for the Seahawks was deepened greatly, with my accident happening exactly one week before the Super bowl I was still a resident of St. Als at the time just a few days removed from ICU.   In arguably one of the darkest times of my life, the super bowl served as a bright spot for me.  I was a bit nervous though with the Seahawks performance in their first big game(Or the Refs performance I should say).  My brother and father brought in a 50" TV to my hospital room so we could watch the game in HD and all it's glory.

While the Super bowl seemed a disappointment to most being such a blowout, it served as a silver lining to my grey cloud.  A bright spot that in a time of tragedy created a sub-conscious bright spot that deepened my love for the Hawks.  It gave me a inside perspective if you will to those that request time with teams and athletes through Make a Wish.  It allows them to create an experience that puts a smile on there face and shine a light during a dark time.

Tomorrow serves as the anniversary date for my accident.  It's funny, I was reflecting today on how the weather this year compared to last is very reflective to where I was and where I am now.  I feel more accomplished through the path the Lord has led me this last year than I have through any other time in my life.  I have been truly blessed to have the opportunity to learn what I'm really made of. 

There is no other time to learn your true character, your true friends, and what kind of seeds you have sown, but when you are at your lowest. 

Experience; the best description of this last year.  The closeness I have enriched with my family, the relationships that have deepened with friends, the drive and determination I have learned I possess, the unlimited possibilities and power I have witnessed that God will use when allowed... my greatest experience.

 In regards to my reflection on the Super bowl, players and fans talk about games like the Super bowl as an unbelievable experience.  But I will argue that the greatest and most unbelievable experience we can be a part of is that of us allowing God's plan and will to guide our lives.  It will bring the unexpected and be an experience like you could never imagine. 

With it's proximity in date, the Super Bowl will always serve as a reminder of this for me... Go Hawks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment