Saturday, February 28, 2015

Refueled

   I am competitive... incredibly competitive... ridiculously Competitive!  I'm that guy playing board games.   I turn things into a competition that aren't meant to be.  I'm the guy that competes with himself.  I'm competitive about my job, I always wanna be one of the best agents with Farmers.  I just compete, plain and simple.

When I got hurt it became a competition, especially when the realization hit me on how badly I was hurt.  I pushed to see how quickly I could get out of the hospital, I wanted to master tasks and build strength as quickly as possible.  I would go to the therapy room when I was in the hospital and do extra workouts to push as much as I could.  I played wheel chair rugby(A.K.A. Murder Ball, great name)  just 4 months after my accident and only 1 month removed fro staying at the hospital.  I have to be challenged to have drive, and competition is my fuel.

There has been a sort of emptiness without motocross in my life.  I mean, on so many levels I'm okay with it.  Mostly because I know God always has a purpose and a plan.  I trust that, but it doesn't make it easy.  I miss that carrot in my life, that drive to push myself to be better at something. to win races, and frankly just battle with someone(shout out to the Vet crew! I miss lining up with you boys!).  

After my injury I knew that my success in staying positive and not dwelling on my injury was to find something quickly to replace Motocross with as quickly as I could.  At first just the recovery was enough to drive me.  Then I quickly looked at options and thought what made the most sense was mountain biking(very similar to dirtbikes).  So I have been striving to get one, but they are not cheap, especially with the mountain of Med bills and all that.  So it's something I still look towards in my future and have a desire to get into, hopefully sooner than later, but it will take a little time. 

In the mean time God has unexpectantly opened another door for me.  I've had the blessing to get to know a few individuals through a sponsor Red Rush and old friend from my training days over at Concept2 rowers that have united me with the Crossfit world.  Given my training background I've always been a neighbor to Crossfit, but never actually connected to it.  I have gotten to know some individuals that have opened the world to me and the process of competing from a wheel chair.

The drive is back.  The fuel that once burned inside has been restoked, and as I ready myself for the Adaptive Crossfit Open and the camaraderie I begin to build with other athletes around the world I can't help but think about this as a gift from God I never expected.  I look forward to being part of a movement to grow this sport locally at the adaptive level and bring competition back into others lives.   Huh?  He truly works in mysterious ways...  

1 comment:

  1. He truly does open doors and work in mysterious ways. I was so awe inspired to watch your 15.1 WOD workout yesterday. SO glad to have made contact and to have you around the gym. God Bless you and continue to work it!
    You are my hero!
    (Frank's mom) :)

    ReplyDelete