Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Why Motocross?

Do you believe in love at first sight?  Motocross was that way for me.  From the first race, I had a passion that stirred inside me that gave me an adrenal peace only that sport could for me.  It's the only place I've been able to release stress of all kinds.  Simply because it's the only place I've been able to completely turn off my mind, it requires that type of focus and concentration.

Motocross was always a challenge.  I've never been naturally gifted at it.  But my love grew with the fact that it challenged me and I had to work that much harder at it.  It's not the easy that we truly love in life.  It's what we are motivated to let push and challenge us to be better. 
While all that is true, that's just the tip this love gave me.  Memories, so many beautiful memories have been forged by motocross.  Weekend trips I would take with my dad and brother where we would meet up at the track with three or four other families, and just be together as a larger family.  We would all stay at the same motel and create ruckus together through the evening.  The next memories were when I went solo, racing professional I was always the runt of the litter.  But I fought hard to better myself, my speed, and my abilities.  Where I lacked in natural speed I made up in strength, this hard work and dedication forged a respect with my peers that I will never forget.  Traveling together in packs as privateers(self funded) to achieve a common goal, weekend in and weekend out.  And what the self funding taught me in business is what no college could, with personal experience of marketing, advertising, follow through, customer service, budgeting, basically business.

All this led to memories I was granted on a whole other side of the sport from the work I had put it in.  Being a trainer was a whole other set of glasses I got to wear that gave me the gift of seeing the sport through the eyes of the elite.  I was able to build friendships that changed my perspective of how to view tracks, lines, and the way you accelerate to go fast.  I also learned the unglamorous of what this sport can do to an individual and those that cared for them. 

Its what motivated me to bring Christ back into being part of this great sport with a ministry and devotion.  I was internally motivated to get back to the family side of the sport with my own and a new generation of Families to share it with me.  
God gave us free will with his love for us, we get to choose and create our own consequences.
If you asked me I could have my legs back for sure, but it would cost me all that... what would your answer be?

No comments:

Post a Comment